Architectural Services:

What can AG Solutions do for me?

We are skilled users of AutoCad and Sketch-Up and use these abilities to make your dreams for your home a reality. Don't worry if you aren't exactly sure how you want your property to look at the end and you just know you want to improve it, as we are full of ideas and options for you to consider.
We always design with your wishes in mind and also take into account your budget..
Getting a full set of professional architectural drawings does help avoid disappointment when the build is on site and gives the builder something to work towards.

What is Architectural Technology?

“Architectural Technology is the technology of architecture; a creative, innovative design discipline rooted in science and Engineering. It forms the link between design and realisation. At its core, is the anatomy and physiology of a building or structure, its relation to context, how it is assembled and how it performs through form, function and fabric. Architectural Technology achieves efficient and effective construction and robust sustainable design solutions that perform and endure over time.”

More on what ‘Chartered’ Technologists (MCIAT) are here

When do I need Planning Permission?

Planning Permission, Listed Building Consent and Building Regulations Approval are statutory consents that are required from your local council in order to legally carry out the changes you wish to make to your property or land.  Where Planning Permission is not required we can apply for a Certificate of Permitted Development on your behalf.

Planning Authorities seek to guide the way our towns and countryside develop. This includes the use of land & buildings, the appearance of buildings, landscaping considerations, highway access and environmental impact. The granting of Planning Permission cannot be guaranteed since it depends upon many factors, some of which can’t be controlled, we will however do our best to inform and advise as necessary.

What is Building Regulation approval?

Building Regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to protect the safety and health of people in or about those buildings. They cover many areas such as structure, fire escape, drainage, ventilation, conservation of fuel & power and facilities for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

Permission is a legal requirement for all but the most basic types of building work.
The regulations are complex and can often seem unreasonable, but they are all there for good reason. Building regulation matters are handled by building control officers; there is no committee so you should not have to endure a long wait for approval.

A typical submission will include the application form and council fee, Location Plan, Site and/or Block Plan, Existing and Proposed Plans, Existing and Proposed Elevations, Sections, Specification, particular Details (e.g. foundations, roof etc) but may also include Structural &/or Thermal calculations, technical literature etc.

Why are you not as expensive as others?

Architects in Stockport typically charge a percentage of the final build costs, usually between 10-15%.  This can be costly on smaller residential projects like extensions.
We have fixed fees which keeps it plain and simple to understand, if your build cost escalates our fees won't.  We also don't have many overheads which help us to keep our costs down.

When can we start building?

Planning applications take eight weeks to be processed, from the date of validation, if everything runs smoothly. It can, however, take an Authority up to 4 weeks to validate an application depending upon their workload. We are unable to speed up the process once the application has been submitted but we endeavour to avoid delays if they are under our control. We have managed to secure both approvals within 9 weeks but, being realistic, you should allow at least 4 months for the production of drawings and to obtain both sets of approvals.
We will, however, work to your timetable in so far as is possible and always with a sense of urgency.

What if we need Structural Engineer's calculations?

We can obtain a competitive quotation, at the appropriate time, from an Indemified Structural Engineer and incorporate their design into our drawings for a small additional fee. In this way we can ensure that you receive the same high level of service

Disabled access & grants.

Did you know we have over 20 years’ experience working with both Local Authorities and individuals to provide ground floor living accommodation, wetrooms, level access showers and external ramps?

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)?

A DFG is funded by your Local Authority and is to help meet the costs of adapting a property to suit the needs of a disabled occupant. If you are unsure whether you qualify or not please give us a call and we will see if we can assist you.

Can you help us with the application process?

Yes we can. Most alterations and adaptations approved under the DFG require drawings detailing the work. They may also require planning and building regulations approval which we can obtain on your behalf. We can also provide you with a competitive quotation to submit with your application and if successful undertake the work on site. We have worked with many Local Authorities within the North West and we are happy to help you as much or as little as you require.

I have been approved for a DFG can you help?

Possibly yes. Please give us a call and we can discuss this in more detail.

I wish to fund my adaptation works myself. Can you help?

Of course, please telephone us and we will arrange a no obligation visit to your home to discuss your requirements.